Baba ghanouj or baba ganoush is a simple plate prepared with hummus and falafel. It is a dish from the Middle East that is quite simple and quick to prepare.
At the base, this dish is none other than a mashed eggplant (eggplant caviar) to which is added tahini (sesame puree), olive oil, lemon juice, and garlic. Sometimes the flavor is more pronounced because the eggplant will have a taste of smoke if we choose to grill it unlike the roasted in the oven aubergines which will have a sweeter taste.
The Origins Of This Dish:
It can be found throughout the Middle East, as well as in some Mediterranean countries like Greece, but according to them, this dish would originate from Lebanon.
baba in Arabic means father, which can be interpreted by the father of vegetables probably from the important place that occupies the eggplant, and ghanouj means soft. Eggplants can be roasted in the oven, but if you prefer a smoky taste, you can also grill the eggplants. Serve, simply drizzle with a dash of olive oil or try adding one of the garnishes parsley, cumin, and paprika.
Hummus and Babaghanoush Recipes:
- Meal course: Arabian food.
- Meal type: Middle Eastern Food.
- Meal difficulty: Medium.
- Servings: For 5 People.
- Total Time, preparation, and cooking: 40 minutes.
- 1 large eggplant.
- 3 tablespoons of grilled tahini (sesame paste).
- 1 lemon.
- 1 clove of crushed garlic.
- 1 tablespoon of chopped parsley olive oil.
- ½ teaspoon cumin.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Cut the eggplant in half and place it on a plate covered with aluminum foil.
- Cook for 20-30 minutes or until soft.
- Remove eggplant from the oven and let cool.
- Turn the eggplant over and scrape the pulp with a spoon.
- Mash in a blender or with a fork and purée.
- Drizzle the pulp with half the lemon juice.
- Add the tahini and stir. Season with cayenne pepper and cumin.
- Add the garlic and olive oil. Mix well.
- Pour the second half of the lemon juice
- Adjust the seasoning. Serve with olive oil and lemon.
- Sprinkle with chopped parsley and sprinkle with cumin before serving.
El Hummus Recipe:
- 250 gr cooked drained chickpeas.
- 1 clove of garlic.
- 50 ml sesame oil.
- 1/2 lemon juice.
- 1 pinch salt.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil.
- 1 pinch of cumin.
- 1 pinch of paprika.
- Add the chickpeas, lemon juice, salt, sesame oil, and peeled garlic clove to the chopper.
- Mix until smooth and homogeneous (1 minute).
- Place your hummus on a hollow plate.
- Drizzle with olive oil, then sprinkle with cumin and paprika.
- Here you go, your hummus is ready!
Thank you so much for posting this. I have been looking for a recipe of babaghanoush for a long time.
You are welcome, I am glad you found the recipe you want